Declaring a Major & Being Assigned an SPLH Mentor/Advisor
Anna van Haandel, Advising Specialist from Student Academic Services is our dedicated SPLH undergraduate advisor. She will be available to assist you with academic advising, particularly in the area of College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) requirements.
- Declaring your SPLH major. Ms. van Haandel can do this for you. Please make an appointment with her to declare your major. You can make an appointment with her by calling Student Academic Services at 785-864-3500; in 3016 Dole on Wednesdays between 8:00-11:30 AM and 1:00-5:00 PM.
- Completing your plan of study. Ms. van Haandel can also assist you with this. After you have created a plan of study, you should go over it with your faculty mentor/advisor (faculty member assigned to you by Becky Harris).
- In the semester before you plan to graduate, meet with Ms. Van Haandel for a graduation check.
- Ms. van Haandel is also available to help you with questions about classes and enrollment to meet graduation requirements throughout your undergraduate career.
Once you have declared your major, Becky Harris will assign you an SPLH faculty mentor. Your faculty mentor/advisor is available to help you select electives, complementary minors and majors, and co-curricular activities as well as answer questions about graduate school and careers post-graduation. After meeting with Ms. van Haandel, please e-mail your plan of study to your assigned SPLH faculty mentor and request an advising appointment with your SPLH mentor/advisor. You should also visit the opportunities section to learn about co-curricular activities to discuss with your mentor.
Applying for Graduate School Tutorial
Students should begin thinking about applying to graduate school in the Spring of their Junior year. Please review the Graduate School Application Tutorial for a timeline of activities and make an appointment with your faculty mentor to discuss your graduate school application plans.
Group Advising Slides
Each semester around enrollment time faculty mentors present advising reminders in certain SPLH classes. You can view the presentation slides and recordings here.
- Freshman/Sophomore Advising Presentation Spring 2017 (PDF)
- Junior/Senior Advising Presentation Spring 2017 (PDF)
Helpful Advising Links
- SPLH Educational Records Waiver for Student Letters of Recommendation
- Costs and Scholarship Information
- Private Scholarship Information
- University Advising Center
- CLAS Student Academic Services
- Degree Progress Report (DPR) Information
- CLAS Forms
- CLAS Tools
- CLAS Policies & Procedures (e.g., course repeat policy; credit/no credit; graduation process; credit transfer)